> On Aug 23, 2006, at 8:17 AM, authfriend wrote:
>
> >> -- It's a power trip.  And I don't think getting involved
> >> in that kind of game is healthy.
> >
> > That's just paranoid, Sal.  The TMO has always been on
> > a power trip, but SS#s aren't an example, *except* to
> > verify that one is qualified to go on particular
> > courses and so on, and they could certainly check that
> > just by using names and dates, although with more difficulty
> > and more possibility of error.  I haven't gone on a course
> > in a while, so I don't know if they're still doing this,
> > but they also used to ask for the name of your initiator
> > when you applied for a course.  That was another way of
> > checking to make sure you had actually learned TM.
>
> Come off it, Judy.  I'd be amazed if they had records going
> back a few years, much less when someone learned TM.

I'd be amazed if they didn't.

> The bit about the teacher's name is just more TMO silliness, as
> anyone could have made up a name.

But it wouldn't have matched what was on your
initiation record.

> Tell you what...next time you apply for a course, make up
> some name to put in the initiator's blank, and see what happens--
> I'll bet nothing.

Maybe not, but that wouldn't exactly prove anything,
would it?

> > In other words, unless they were to ask for no personal
> > information at all, the "intimidation" you're imagining
> > would still be a factor.  The only thing about SS#s is
> > that they're a very efficient means of identification.
> >
> >> And another point--usually when an organization asks you for one,
> >> that's it.  They don't keep asking you every single time.
> >
> > Sure they do, in many circumstances, as a way of verifying
> > you're who you say you are.  An SS# is sort of like a
> > password.
>
> "Sort of like"? I must have missed the secret handshake.

Cute, but a non sequitur.  Guess you had no comeback
for that one.

<snip>
> >> OK, why are they asking for them then?
> >
> > AS A MEANS OF IDENTIFICATION.  Sheesh!  Same
> > reason so many other institutions have used them.
>
> And a photo ID would do just as well, same reason so many other
> organizations have used *them.*

THINK, Sal.  Photo IDs can easily be faked, first
of all.  Second, what good is a photo ID for
checking the central database?  All a photo ID
proves is that the person in front of you has a
piece of paper with their photo on it.

Driver's licenses used to have both, a photo and
SS#.  Were they trying to intimidate people?  Or
were the two useful for different purposes?

And driver's licenses still use numbers to identify
people.  It's just a different set of numbers created
for the same purpose as the SS#, except that it's
limited to identifying drivers.

<snip>

> >> That's my point exactly.  Whether it's directly by someone with
> >> some nefarious intent, or simply because some idiot gets
> >> careless, you would not trust the TMO with potentially sensitive
> >> information.
> >
> > Once again: So they're trying to intimidate people by
> > suggesting that people with nefarious intent will get
> > hold of your SS# and commit identity theft because
> > the TMO is riddled with careless idiots?
>
> No, that was your point--I said they did it for intimidation.

Right, then you said not trusting them to keep the
numbers secure was your point: In other words, they
were trying to intimidate people by suggesting that
their SS#s weren't secure.

That's the implication of what you've said, Sal.  You
boxed yourself into that corner.

If you want to get out of it, suggest another basis
for your "intimidation" idea, because your attempt to
hijack my concern with security and graft it onto your
claim of intimidation just doesn't pass the giggle test.

As I asked:

> > Fill in the blank:
> >
> > "We're asking for your SS# so that if you don't

Face it, Sal.  You never had any threat in mind.  But
without a threat, the notion of intimidation is utter
nonsense.