Though I was once reamed by LB for making
a statement to the effect that Fairfield is
Maharishi's territory and that other gurus
are behaving with poor ethics by moving onto
his doorstep, I have come to see that ethics
isn't the issue. It's plain market dynamics.

It was absolutely inevitable that people would
come into town to seek a part of the MIU/MUM
market, both for share of mind and share of
wallet.

A foundational concept in the community was
entrepreneurism within the TM family itself,
offering services and facilitating goods that
complemented the TM practice (e.g., Olde World
Cafe and Portafoam Flight Cushions). No one
in the early days realized the unavoidable fact
that people from outside the TM family would
come in to supply directly competing spiritual
programs, and that a demand for them would
arise within the TM group itself.

This is especially true given the monumental
failure of the school. What failure do I refer to?
Given all that the school has to offer, the fact
that it hasn't grown consistently year after year
from its founding, perhaps even with
double-digit growth, is a failure of staggering
proportions. The lack of growth is probably
attributable to vast buffoonery on the part of
administrators, if not Maharishi himself. In
that vacuum, it is only natural that many
meditators would welcome competing spiritual
services and programs into the town to create
expansion. After all, didn't SCI teach everyone
that, to be fulfilled, a man must display more
creative intelligence every day, and that one
of the fundamentals of progress is growth?
(Bonus question: Who can name the other
four fundamentals?)

To repeat an idea I brought up a long time ago,
and that was roundly ignored, one area in
which this dynamic has not yet unfolded is
in academic competition.

It seems to me that a fully mature market in Fairfield
would include a competing academic institution, one
offering the converse of MUM. Rather than being a
closed ashram disguised as a bonifide academic
campus, the new place would be first and foremost
a serious academic facility, with embedded unaligned
spirituality.

Imagine a school striving for research and teaching
excellence, incorporating as many good ideas from
MIU/MUM as possible but encouraging debate, inquiry,
and free thinking. Meditator or not, anyone could
attend, and those who did practice spiritual programs
could come from any background. Perhaps, many
of the best profs from MIU/MUM who have been
dismissed over the years would be interested in
returning to teach and conduct research in MIU2.

Such a new school could become a hub for the
spiritual strands in Fairfield that compete with
TM. The curriculum would maintain consciousness
as a central organizing principle, but with a
more scholarly and less sectarian bent.

If you were an academic like Amit Goswami,
author of The Self-Aware Universe, which of
the two campuses in Fairfield would you be
drawn to visit or possibly join?

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Fairfield's Future
>
> Over the past several years, I have engaged in countless conversations about
> the state
of
> Fairfield and its prospects for the future. I have generally taken the
> position that
Fairfield's
> best years are yet to come. A few years ago, most of the people I engaged on
> this topic
> were surprised by my position and only a few agreed. Within the past year,
> however, I
> would say that the majority agree: Fairfield's best years are yet to come.

...snip...