It was fun to read Swami Shyamendra's version of the 100 Rudras that
you found.  Thanks for that.  Below is an excerpt from the same story
from Swami Venkatesananda's Yoga Vasishta published by the SUNY Press.

***

THE STORY OF THE HUNDRED RUDRAS

VASISHTA continued:

In this connection I shall narrate a legend to you, O Rama, to which
please lend your ear.

There once lived a mendicant who was devoted to meditation.  His mind,
having been purified by such meditation, came to possess the power to
materialise its thoughts.

One day, being tired of continuous meditation, yet having his mind
fully concentrated, he thought of doing something.  He fancied birth
as one who was illiterate and of a non-brahmana family.  Instantly, he
had become, as it were, a tribesman: there arose in him the feeling 'I
am Jivata'.  This dream-being roamed for some time in the city also
built of dream-objects.  One day he got drunk and slept.  He dreamt
that he was a brahmana endowed with knowledge of the scriptures.
While he was living a righteous life, one day this brahmana dreamt
that he was a powerful king.  He dreamt that he was a mighty emperor
of unequalled glory.  One day he indulged in royal pleasures and after
that slept and dreamt of a celestial nymph.

Similarly, this nymph one day dreamt that she was a deer.  And this
deer dreamt that it was a creeper.  Surely, even animals behold
dreams, for such is the nature of the mind which can recollect what
has been seen and what has been heard.  The deer became a creeper.
The inner intelligence in the creeper saw in its own heart a bee.  It
became a bee -- and the bee began to drink the nectar in the flowers
on the creeper.  It became attached to the nectar in one of those
flowers, surely for its own destruction!

At night an elephant approached this creeper and plucked it, along
with the bee, and crushed it in its mouth.  However, the bee, having
seen the elephant, contemplated the elephant and became an elephant.
The elephant was captured by a king.  One day it saw a hive of bees
and on account of the memory of its own past birth it became a bee.
It began to drink the nectar of the flowers in wild creepers.  It
became a creeper.  The creeper was destroyed by an elephant, but
because the creeper had seen swans in the nearby lake, it became a swan.

One day this swan was roaming in the company of many other swans.
While the mendicant was meditating upon this swan, he was overcome by
death.  His consciousness therefore became embodied in the swan.

VASISHTA continued:

That swan once beheld lord Rudra and in his heart there arose the
conviction 'I am Rudra'.  Instantly it abandoned its body as swan and
became Rudra.  And that Rudra dwelt in the abode of Rudra.  However,
since Rudra was endowed with true knowledge, he remembered all that
had taken place!
***

The story continues for another 9-10 pages and is one of my favorites
in the whole Yoga Vasishta.  The Yoga Vasishta is just a wonderful
book and incomparable.  I highly recommend it.

**