> On Sep 8, 2006, at 10:20 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > He *can* do that (The Straight Story), but IMO he
> > goes for obscure whenever he needs money, because
> > he knows that it sells. Americans are not quite
> > the suckers for pretence and pomposity that the
> > French are, but enough of the critics are to ensure
> > a few good reviews, and thus a break-even at the
> > box office, which is the most important thing to
> > any director who hopes to direct another film
> > after his current one.
> >
> > I don't personally like his style of filmmaking
> > very much, but I have to say that almost *everything*
> > he's ever released, *including* Eraserhead, has been
> > better than the recent clip. That footage gives me no
> > hope whatsoever for the final film.
>
> I'd say, at least re: Mullholland Drive, that Dr. Pete's comment
about
> "film-school crap" pretty much sums up my feelings as well.  I'd
give
> Lynch a bit more credit than that, perhaps, but not much.
>
> Sal

a waste of film stock.

"The World's Fastest Indian" on the other hand, or "The Deep End"
or "A Glimpse of Hell" or "March of the Penguins" are all really
good! As is the remarkably excellent "Pirates of the Carribean-2",
and "The Devil Wears Prada". Just a few I've seen recently...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: