Power Words and Labels

Power words are, in my lexicon, those that have invoke a strong
emotional, almost reptile brain reactions -- that dramatically slow
down rational analysis and discussion -- sometimes stopping them dead
in their tracks. In different circles, the following power words can
do that:  racist, sexist, fascist, anti-semite, unpatriotic,
treasonous, liberal, off-the-program, cult, totalitarian, TMO-like,
and for the souls of the 60's "power-trip".

In the later 60's, being on a power-trip was one of the worst things
that could be said of another. It was as show-stopper. A conversation
stopper. Any one accused of being on a power-trip -- their points were
instantly ignored, even mocked. "We can't  have any power-trippers
here" was a dominant part of the 60's ethos.

Turq, in the linked post, uses two power words -- show stoppers.
"Power trip" and "TMO-like"*

Lets look at the power label "power trip". Its unclear what precisely
Turq feels is a "power trip" in my post. The post that triggered this
show-stopping "acqusation" contained four components:

i) Existing FFL Guidelines. A reminder that we have 15 FFL guidelines,
in place for years, sent to every member upon signing up, and once a
month thereafter.

ii) An Invitation:  to abide by them, since they have served FFL well
by helping to cultivate a reasonably mature posting and discussion
environment.

iii) Four new suggested guidelines: --  simple, hardly onerous, common
sense, guidelines -- such as keeping Subjects current with subject matter.

iv) Three simple "enforcement" mechanisms for the few who grossly
ignore the guidelines: not triggered by some power-tripper, but by a
group of (five was suggested) posters themselves.

This is a "power to the people" initiative. Turq, are you against the
wisdom of the collective -- of the people themselves? I ask, Where is
the power trip? Who is power tripping?

FFL is a good forum to explore power words and labels. To understand
their effect on ourselves and others. To help desensitize ourselves to
their insidious power to shut down rational thought and discussion. I
hope FFL can continue to well explore such words and tactics in a free
and cordial environment -- governed by the collective, by the posters.

----

*(the latter not an exact quote of his, but captures the essence of a
"power concept" -- that the TMO has had vast excesses, thus to be run
like the TMO is an idea that "all who are hip and insightful" -- and
aren't we all -- will freeze in our track. Stop thinking. We can't
have anything "TMO-like" around here!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: