--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Admitting an adult to a mental institution can only be
> done by someone sanctioned by the particular state
> with that power (i.e., a medical doctor, a
> psychologist, a policeman). That admitting person must
> present clear evidence that the person is a clear risk
> to their own wellbeing or the wellbeing of another. It
> is not an easy thing to do at all.

***********

The authorities are extremely reluctant to admit people to mental
institutions because of the high cost of doing so. When I worked as a
civilian for a So. Calif. police force 25 years ago, the cops would
get complaints about crazy street people acting out in the
neighborhood, but physicians would not usually not admit anybody
unless they were clearly nuts, so the crazy guy would go back to the
neighborhood and the cops would go nuts dealing with multiple calls
about this crazy guy doing his crazy thing in the neighborhood. So
the cops learned to tell the crazy guy when they picked him that they
were going to take him to the wizard, who would do all sorts of
wonderful things for him, getting the guy all excited, so that when
they arrived at the hospital and met the doctor, the crazy guy would
blurt out "Are you the wizard?", and the doctor would say, Oh yeah,
and admit the guy to the psych ward, which would get him off the
streets for a while.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: