Khameini: Don't masturbate during Ramadan

Iran's supreme leader answers questions on masturbation and other
topics on his website

Deliberate masturbation during the month of Ramadan renders a fast
invalid, Iranian Supreme Leader Sayyid Ali Khameini has ruled.

Khameini, who is Iran's most powerful political and religious
figure, was asked on his website : "If somebody masturbates during
the month of Ramadan but without any discharge, is his fasting
invalidated?"

 "If he do not intend masturbation and discharging semen and nothing
is discharged, his fasting is correct even though he has done a
ḥarām (forbidden) act. But, if he intends masturbation or he knows
that he usually discharges semen by this process and semen really
comes out, it is a ḥaram intentional breaking fasting," the Iranian
leader said, posting the reply on his website.

Another reader asked: "Once in the holy month of Ramadan, I forgot
to brush my teeth, and some tiny bits of food remained in my mouth.
I swallowed the bits unintentionally. Do I have to perform the qaḍa
(repent) for that day's fast?"

"If you did not know that some bits of food remained between the
teeth, or you did not know that they would reach the throat, and
they were swallowed unknowingly and unintentionally, then you are
not liable to make (repent) of the fast," said Khameini.

'Drink water while standing'

On the website, Khameini also tells Iranians that only jockeys are
permitted to gamble on horse races.

He is also asked whether it is permissible for a man to marry a
woman only in order to be able to live in his wife's country. "Can a
man conclude a marriage contract for a year with a European girl
after getting her agreement with the purpose of going to her
country?" A reader asked.

"There is no problem in that if they are serious in contracting
marriage and it is done with her father's permission if she is
virgin," Khameini ruled.

The Iranian leader also told readers they were allowed to "to drink
water while standing" at nights. It was "not permissible" to take
part in meetings attended by both men and women, he told another
reader.

"In Islam's view, rulers and governments exist just to serve people
and carry out works in the interest of the public and this is what
God demands us, as authorities, to fulfill," Khamenei was quoted
Tuesday telling Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: