--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/technology/10nano.html
> > >
> > > "So far, there have been no confirmed reports of public health or
> > > environmental problems related to nanotechnology. But troubling
> > > laboratory tests suggest some nanoscale particles may pose novel
> health
> > > risks by, for instance, slipping easily past barriers to the
> brain that
> > > keep larger particles out. Thus, the same attributes that could
> make
> > > the technology valuable for delivering drugs could also make it
> > > hazardous.
> > >

> > Actually, I recall some issue with nano-tech particles used in
> window cleaners, so I think the
> > article is incorrect.
> >
> > slashdot.org had an article about it at least 6 months ago, I think.
> >

> ********************
>
> http://tinyurl.com/eqzhk

As I said, the article above is incorrect. A product in german was recalled 6
months ago
due to heath concerns about its nano-particles:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/84/i15/8415nanotech.html

April 7, 2006
Also appeared in print April 17, 2006, p. 10
PRODUCT SAFETY
Nanotech Consumer Product Recalled in Germany
Glass-treating spray containing nanoparticles may have medical problems in many
consumers
Ann M. Thayer

On March 31, the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) issued a
warning
against using a household product containing nanoparticles that has led to what
is
apparently the first recall of a nanotechnology-based product. In a period of
less than two
weeks, regional poison control centers in Germany received about 80 reports of
people
coughing or complaining of fever and headache, and several people were
hospitalized with
pulmonary edema, after using "Magic Nano" surface-sealing sprays.

Cleaning-product manufacturer Kleinmann GmbH, which packages and sells the
sprays,
quickly withdrew aerosol formulations that also contain a propellant and warned
against
their further use. The company has sold the products in pump bottles for more
than two
years and has had no reports of problems. The sprays are designed for treating
glass and
ceramic surfaces to make them water- and dirt-repellant for easier cleaning.

Magic Nano products contain silica and silicone nanoparticles as well as
ethanol, water,
and other ingredients, according to the poison control center GIZ-Nord.
Although
Kleinmann did not name specific suppliers involved, it has partnered with
nanomaterial
producer Nanopool, along with companies spun off from the Institute for New
Materials in
Saarbrucken.

According to BfR, it seems that users had "inhaled components of the spray
which had
remained in the ambient air as fine particles of the aerosol." The exact cause
of the health
problems and any connection to the nanoparticles or propellant have yet to be
established, BfR points out. Kleinmann says it and its suppliers are
cooperating with
authorities to understand and clarifyuse of the problem...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: