<jflanegi@>

> > > <snip>

> > > With two 5 1/4 360K floppy drives and no hard drive?
> > >
> > > I earned my living for two years with wunna dose.
> >
> > Didn't have 640K RAM, either.  It was 5-something--
> > can't remember what, 525 sticks in my mind, but that
> > can't be right, can it?  DOS 2, I think.  Monochrome
> > monitor, of course.
> >
> > And a 1200-baud modem.  Oh, the thrill when I upgraded
> > to a 2400-baud!
>
> DOS 2? *Two* floppy drives? 1200 baud?
>
> You were a latecomer to personal computing. I'd
> guess that a few of the folks here beside myself
> remember CP/M and 300 baud modems.

My boyfriend had one of those.  When he'd come over,
it was tough to tear him away from my computer when
dinner was ready because he found the speed so
exhilarating.

My mother, who was the age I am now at the time, got
a computer before I did for her writing.  Unfortunately,
it was a dedicated CP/M running Valdocs that became
orphaned very shortly thereafter, It ultimately got to
be too much of a struggle to deal with its various bugs,
and she didn't have the mental energy to learn a whole
new system.

My sister and I still have dozens of Valdocs disks
of her writing.  We finally found someone at the
Obsolete Computer Musem site who's willing to convert
them for us, if they're still even readable.

Actually, even before my mother got her CP/M, my
sister and I also had little machines that ran off of
a tape recorder.  TCM-something?  Can't remember.  I
still have mine tucked away in storage.

> Or even further back, dumb teletype terminals,
> with no monitor. It was basically like a typewriter,
> communicating with a mainframe somewhere at 300 baud,
> printing out both what you typed and what came back
> from the host on rolls of paper.

Not exactly personal computing, that...

> Oh, the good old days...  :-)

<*> Your email settings: