On Oct 14, 2006, at 10:55 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:

That's what some pundits are predicting because many people will

have to buy new Pee Cees to run it, upgraders will pay close to

300 bucks and many are just tired of the Spyware issues and so

on which will surely follow Vista. It's said to be a fairly

different UI that many hardcore Wintel people may not tolerate.

I held out as long as I could before switching from Win2000 to XP, and

I'll probably hold out as long as I can before switching to Vista.

Indeed. I did the same thing at work. Then last january I upped my entire network with new dual proc Xenons and XP Pro. Now granted I run two proprietary OS's on top of XP, but it holds steady.

After all, it's only when Microsoft starts shipping a product that the

real beta testing begins, and it usually takes a couple years to weed

out the most egregious flaws. Besides, this PC is only 3 years old,

and its 2.8GHz P4 is overkill for what I do. A couple years from now,

everything will be multiple cores up the wazoo and fully capable of

running the most bloated of bloatware.

 The nice thing about that is that even a low-end PC will be able to render video, multi-track music files and 3D raytraced animation quite quickly compared to today. The average person home power user can even rely on lower-end hardware for the average jobs.