> In a message dated 10/22/06 12:53:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Gee,  what an enlightened outlook all of a sudden from the US who
had
> no problem  currently or previously supporting Mubarak in Egypt-
> military  dictatorship, The House of Saud- oligargical
dictatorship,
> Shah of Iran-  dictatorship, and Saddam in Iraq- dictatorship. Ah
> yes, the freedom we  yearn for in the Middle East! Alarming
naivete.

> The only thing we want  in Iraq is a puppet government that gives
us
> reliable access to Iraqi oil,  without creating waves in the
Middle
> East. A stable dictatorship would be  just fine with Cheney/Bush.
>

> Yes Mubarak, the House of Saud, The Shah and Saddam were all pre
9/11. All
> dictators or monarchs that have suppressed their people and
created the very
> climate that Jihad can grow in. Thank God Almighty that Bush and
those in  his
> administration have recognized this and are willing to try to
correct
> mistakes of previous administrations. Your cynicism is justified
by history  yet you
> have nothing but contempt and anger for the one person that is
willing  to try
> to correct the mistakes of the past and initiate freedom and
democracy to  a
> region of the world that has been trapped in the past for 1300
years. Any
> other politician would have been content to leave the place alone
and deal with
> whatever comes out of it. Had Bush/Cheney wanted a strong
dictatorship in Iraq
>  they could have set one up as mean and nasty as Saddam and
willing to give
> them  a cut of Iraqi oil, but they didn't.

I would say the jury is still very much out on whether or not the
people of Iraq are living under a dictatorship-- what I have heard
so far is:

1. Those elected were unknown to those that voted; that votes were
cast for entire groups of people unknown to the populace, but
represented by one party or another. There were no votes for
individuals, only the parties representing them. There is still no
definitive list of the heads of all of the ministries in Iraq.

2. The president of Iraq and Prime Minister continue to do whatever
the US tells them to. While they have issued independent statements
such as their support for Iran, there has been no action supporting
the rhetoric.

3. People continue to live under a declared state of emergency and
martial law, including 'shoot on sight' curfews and roadblocks.

4. Many thousands of Iraqis continue to be detained without access
to legal representation.

5. There have been reports that death squads are now linked to the
government.

All of the above doesn't sound like democracy. It may be argued that
these are temporary measures, necessary for the rebirth of Iraq. We
will see.

Yes, my outlook towards Cheney/Bush continues to be cynical, because
they constantly and unabashedly lie to those they govern. That in
conjunction with their utter ineptitude and disregard for
consequences makes them the last people I would entrust to establish
a democracy in Iraq.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: