Sal,

That's great that you remember Parus.  It was run by a South Indian
woman and her two daughters.  Very homey and simple.  She taught me
how to toast the coriander seeds and coconut for Sambar, and how to
let the Idli batter ferment properly to get that great sourness.  I
can equal her Idlis and Sambar from her help, but not her Dosas.  I
think you really need a griddle to make them right.  She was really
sweet to me and spent a lot of time teaching me her cooking methods.
I was much more into getting the details down then her two daughters!
 Since it was an easy walk from the center it must have been a
movement mecca for all the years it was in business.  I went there
first in 1983 when I first met you at the CNL.  I know one daughter
got married and had a baby after college, and the other was in college
the last time I talked with her.  I'm guessing it closed in the mid
90's.  Since South Indian style is my favorite by a long shot, I am
always trying any place that serves South Indian food, but none are as
charming and delicious as that place.  It attracted a great mix of
people, a funky crowd.  I made some Besan Dhoklas and coconut chutney
tonight, so it really made me think of  Parus and her kindness.

> On Oct 26, 2006, at 9:21 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:
>
> > Was the South Indian restaurant Parus on T street opened when you
were
> > there?  She taught me to make Idli and dosa and Sambar. It is gone
> > now, but I loved that place.
>
> Curtis,
> I'm pretty sure that was the place I was trying to think of, where I
> used to go with a couple of friends.  Was it a small place, just a few
> tables, self-serve, on some little side-street off Dupont Circle?  If
> so, I loved that place too.
>
> When did it close?
>
> Sal

<*> Your email settings: