> [...]
> > clever joke about Bush's  poor academic performance and
> > being "stuck in Iraq." Its actually a clever  joke and
> > I can't really believe that people authentically
> > believe it is  some sort of put-down of our troops.
> >
> > I can't actually believe that anyone would think it
> > was a clever joke! I mean, when did Kerry ever put down
> > the troops?
>
> You meant to say why anyone would *not* think it was a
> joke.
>
> > Comparing them to Genghis Khan doesn't count.
>
> Let's just give that a little bit of context.
> Here's part of what he said before the Senate
> committee:
>
> I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say
that
> several months ago in Detroit, we had an investigation at which
over
> 150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veterans
> testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia, not isolated
> incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full
> awareness of officers at all levels of command....
>
> They told the stories at times they had personally raped, cut off
> ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human
> genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies,
> randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent
of
> Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks,
and
> generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to
the
> normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging
> which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.
>
> We call this investigation the "Winter Soldier Investigation." The
> term "Winter Soldier" is a play on words of Thomas Paine in 1776
when
> he spoke of the Sunshine Patriot and summertime soldiers who
deserted
> at Valley Forge because the going was rough.
>
> We who have come here to Washington have come here because we feel
we
> have to be winter soldiers now. We could come back to this
country;
> we could be quiet; we could hold our silence; we could not tell
what
> went on in Vietnam, but we feel because of what threatens this
> country, the fact that the crimes threaten it, not reds, and not
> redcoats but the crimes which we are committing that threaten it,
> that we have to speak out.
>
> http://www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/history398/JohnKerryTestimony.html
>
> Read the rest of it, because his testimony has
> also been grossly and maliciously distorted by
> the right wing.
>
> In the first place, he wasn't "accusing" the troops
> in Vietnam of atrocities, contrary to the wingnut
> spin.  He was *reporting* what they themselves had

Not true.

And you and I, Judy, had, literally, 1,000s of words of debate about
this at the time on amt.

I don't think you'd like me to post some of those debates we had
where I quote Kerry's very words on this subject, would you?

>  And the point was not to hold
> the troops up to criticism but the civilian and
> military leadership who were running the war.
>
> Kerry has *never* spoken ill of the troops.  He's
> their fiercest defender.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: