new.morning wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Jyotish does not work, and you have zero evidence for it. GW Bush
>>> has as much evidence for his ghost jesus as any jyotish. No jyotish
>>> has EVER predicted anything of significance. This is SOLID
>>> STATISTICAL proof that it is BS.
>>>
>> ***********
>>
>> Jyotish, done with a reliable program like Parashara's Light (
>> http://www.parashara.com/ ) certainly does produce significant results,
>> and since you mention our beloved Dumbya, here's a very simple
>> presentation of some salient elements of his chart that clearly
>> represent his character and life:
>>
>> http://geocities.com/bbrigante/bush.html
>>

> I disagree. Popular programs, such as PL or GJoyotish, can be great
> tools. But they hardly provided a considered, textured, nuanced,
> integrated, reading of a chart.
>
> All jyotish calculations will provide a chart. Some will "dump" canned
> attributes of a single atttribute. But this is usually highly limited.
> A jyotish assessment needs to look at the interaction of many factors.
> For example, you cite attributes of planets in a house.
>
>     "Mercury in 1st house: conceited, constantly bragging, and lacking
> in real confidence
>
>     Mars in 2nd house: amasses a good amount of wealth through
> deceitful means; not well educated or knowledgeable; quarrelsome,
> harsh in speech, and will enjoy using foul language; may speak
> falsehoods; family life is disturbed; neither charitable nor virtuous;
> may be irritable, short-tempered, and also eats poor quality foods;
> associates with bad people
>
>    Moon in the 3rd house: will desire a position influencing the
> masses; strong and intoxicated with power"
>
> Only taking these factors into account provides a very weak and
> generalized assessment. On average, 1 in 12 people will have Mercury
> in first, of moon in third. So think about it. In a room of 100 people
> do eight people really "will desire a position influencing the masses;
> strong and intoxicated with power"?
>
> Looking at planet positions is one consideration out of many. To get a
> deeper undrstanding of what is going on in a chart (per theory) one
> would need look at, say, mars in second:
>
> per ascendant, is mars benefic or malific,
> who is ruler of that sign,
> is that ruler benefic or malific,
> are any planets aspecting mars,
> is mars aspecting any planets,
> what rulers is it aspecting,
> is mars involved in any yogas,
> what does mars look like in using sun and moon lagnas, and in  higher
> harmonic charts,
> is mars strong or weak per several "indexes",
> what houses and planets is mars currently transiting,
> which planets are transiting it,
> is mars involved in any current or upcoming dashas,
> what nakshatras is mars in natally and transiting, is mars exalted or
> [...]
There are two schools of astrology: the academic and the intuitive.
Some people can just look at a chart and with no deep training in the
myriad of rules (most created by court astrologers trying to keep people
from threatening their position by obfuscating it) and give good
predictions.  The academic school on the other hand is often populated
by egotists trying to impress people with their mastering of the "bridge
rules" of astrology.  Often their predictions go awry.   They also like
to lambaste an intuitive when they point out a point or two in the chart
that is the basis for their prediction in that "all elements must be
taken into account" and when "all elements were taken into account"
those one or two points *are* still the basis for the prediction.

And you are correct, Jyotish provides a propensity for events just like
a weather report.   But look at the "black and white" astrologers who
believe the moment you go from one dasha to the next everything changes
like it was a solid line written in sand.  It is the "science of light"
for chissakes and behaves like light one dasha blending into the next
just like the houses at their cusps blend and as I mentioned before tend
to give ambiguous results as they are a blend of the two houses.

I like to recall the (not so) Amazing Randi's little experiment with
astrology charts where he gave out readings (newspaper style) to a group
and they claimed they fit.  My experience is that if he had an
astrologer prepare reading just based on the ascendant for each
individual those who got the wrong ascendant would have said "this does
not fit me at all."   It's not an exacting science but good enough to
spot trends that might be problematic or even  advantages.out of the
practice

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: