new.morning wrote:
> I have not read the paper yet, but the researchers look credible.
>

> Abstract:
> We find strong lunar cycle effects in stock returns. Specifically,
> returns in the 15 days around new moon dates are about double the
> returns in the 15 days around full moon dates. This pattern of returns
> is pervasive; we find it for all major U.S. stock indexes over the
> last 100 years and for nearly all major stock indexes of 24 other
> countries over the last 30 years. In contrast, we find no reliable or
> economically important evidence of lunar cycle effects in return
> volatility and volume of trading. Taken as a whole, this evidence is
> consistent with popular beliefs that lunar cycles affect human behavior.
>
>   http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=281665
>

> Conclusion and suggestions for future research
> This paper documents a lunar cycle effect in stock returns around the
> world.
> Returns around new moon dates are about double the returns around full
> moon dates.
> This pattern of returns is pervasive. We find it for all major U.S.
> stock indexes over the
> last 100 years and for nearly all of 24 other countries analyzed over
> the last 30 years.
> 23
> The economic magnitude of the new moon/full moon difference is large,
> with annualized
> differences on the magnitude of 5 to 10 percent, rivaling and probably
> exceeding the
> market risk premium. However, we find no reliable evidence of lunar
> cycle effects in
> return volatility or volume of trading.
> Similar to the Monday effect, the nature of the lunar cycle effect in
> returns makes
> it unlikely that it will translate into exploitable trading
> strategies. However, the lunar
> cycle effect is intriguing because it provides strong new evidence
> about a link between
> stock prices and human behavior that is difficult to fully explain in
> terms of traditional
> economic thought. Some of our preliminary findings also suggest
> possible future areas
> for exploration. For example, we find some evidence of lunar cycle
> effects in bond
> prices and interest rate changes. However, this evidence is mixed and
> rather limited,
> suggesting that it might be useful to expand the investigation to
> larger samples and a
> wider array of asset prices (e.g., commodities, futures, and options).
> Since realized stock
> returns reflect unexpected changes in expectations, another
> possibility is to investigate
> whether changes in analysts' forecasts are more optimistic during new
> moon than in full
> moon periods. Such additional evidence would sharpen our understanding
> of the
> [...]
Many Indians pay attention to the Panchang over planetary transits to
plan their schedules.  Given the tremendous influence the Sun and Moon
have even gravitationally it makes sense.  That was how I developed an
interest in astrology when a friend gave me a lunar transits book.  I
noted there was some validity to what was going on and that these cycles
did indeed repeat.  Then there was research that showed that their are
"mini tides" in our body also influenced by the lunar cycles.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: