--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
Federal
> Railroad Administration (FRA).
>

> In talking to the FRA and public officials in other communities in
Iowa that
> have already established quiet zones, it has become clear that the
only way
> to go is to install median devices that prevent "drive arounds" at
> crossings, the main safety concern.  Out of concern for those who
use dialup
> Internet access, I am not going to enclose a picture of the
proposed median
> solution.  Instead, please go to http://fairfieldquietzone.org/
where you
> can see pictures of the median strips.  Special thanks are in order
for Rick
> Shaddock, who got us this domain, and has posted both pictures and
earlier
> emails.  You can see medians from two different manufacturers.
>

> WHAT ARE THE BIG ISSUES?
>

> 1.      Money.  The quotes I have gotten for median devices range
from
> $7,000 to $13,000 per crossing.  Installation costs are modest.
Once the
> installers are comfortable with the process, 10-12 man hours is all
it takes
> per crossing.  If we close 2 crossings, the remaining 7 should not
cost more
> than about $100,000.  Fairfield currently receives about $12,000
per year in
> tax revenue from the railroad for the amount of track within the
city
> limits.  In addition, if the City closes 2 crossings, the Burlington
> Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) will pay the City about $25,000 per
crossing.
> According to the FRA final train horn rule, if these medians are
installed,
> we would automatically qualify for a quiet zone.

I am definitely in favoring of silencing those train horns, but I am
a little suspicious of the lowball numbers on cost of medians -- this
site quotes a figure of $70,000 to do one street/crossing in Chicago,
and I have seen even higher numbers in other cities:

http://tinyurl.com/yb9oy2

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: