--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

> > > See recent post.

> > > And Judy, IMO,
> > >
> > > "Marek, this is the kind of thing I was talking
> > > about--entirely , vicious insults."
> > >
> > > would have gotten the point across. Perhaps without
the "vicious".
> > > Technically I dont see vicious in the Turqs words.
> >
> > You don't?  Really??
> >
> > I'm astonished.
> >
> > And what's your problem with "gratuitous"?  That's
> > factual: There was no personal provocation of Barry
> > in what Lawson said.
> >
> > My reference was to what Marek had said to me about
> > not stirring up a hornet's nest, after having said
> > he and others thought I was always the provocateur.
> > I responded to him that the hornets in question often
> > sting without provocation--i.e., their insults are
> > gratuitous--and I was citing this insult of Barry's
> > to Lawson as an example of what I was talking about.
>
> My point is that while your points may be accurate, I hold there are
> less inflamatory ways of conveying the same thought. Perhaps we
> disagree. Ok.

I can't honestly think of any less inflammatory
ways of conveying that an insult was gratuitous.
I can think of *more* inflammatory ways, but not
less inflammatory.  And I couldn't just leave it
out, because it was the whole point of what I was
drawing Marek's attention to.

> The thing is, some here, including you at times IMO, have a
> hair-thin trigger finger. Firing at slight provocation. My
> thought is to reduce the provocation, and reduce the firings
> and bloody gunfights at slight provocation.

Yes, I understand.  But I think you're better off
focusing on the provocation--the gratuitous insults--
rather than the responses to them, because to the
extent the gratuitous provocations are reduced, the
hair-trigger responses will be automatically reduced,
because there won't be as much to respond *to*.

Also, I think it's actually easier to refrain from
gratuitous insults than it is to refrain from
responding to them

> With a modest amount of care in writing -- and a focus on
> criticizing posts, not posters -- I think we can clean up
> Dodge City here.

I think you're doing a fine job so far.