> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>

> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,

> > > *Exactly* the experience I was talking about, seen both
> > > in a context similar to Ganaji's (including a couple of
> > > her satsangs) and in other traditions. It's almost as if
> > > the more the person has convinced them-selves (that is,
> > > their intellect or mind) that they "understand" enlight-
> > > enment, the less likely they are to recognize it when
> > > it appears.
> >
> > Not exactly-- That is not really what Tom said Gangaji said. Or
at
> > least one side of it. The other side of what she says is that
once
> > those with strong conditioning broke through and 'got it', they
got
> > it *totally*. No bits and pieces here and there. Kind of like
the
> > way a person eats ice cream. Either a little at a time, or wait
> > until the craving builds and have the whole thing at once.
>
> Uh...not exactly. I think it's *you* who needs to go
> back and read the words attributed to Gangaji. While
> what you say about "getting it" is true, what I saw
> as implied in her statement was the phenomenon I have
> seen so many times, TMers taking *longer* TO get it,
> because of their conditioning. So the analogy is more
> like a lot of people eating ice cream for years and
> years, while denying vociferously that they have ever
> tasted it. Then one day the taste "sinks in" and they
> have "finally" tasted ice cream. :-)

Sounds like each of us is emphasizing the part of her attribution
that we enjoy most. I've emphasized the parts below which support
what I said bounded within asterisks. I was talking about what Tom
says about her when he comments: "She commented that it made it very
difficult to break through the conditioning but *once the break was
made they got it totally*... In one way it was harder to get it but
on the other hand *once the understanding was complete, it was a
done deal*."

So whether a person 'gets it' immediately but then takes longer
to 'get it' completely, or whether they deny it, but then
finally 'get it' completely, all at once, seems to be basically two
equal roads to the same place. This doesn't demonstrate a
shortcoming about TM at all.