On Dec 20, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Marek Reavis wrote:

> Well said, Sal, thanks.
>
> Being a part of TM in the 60s and 70s, and perhaps even a little
> further on, meant being part of a "movement" towards greater
> spirituality and positivity in the world.  At some point, however,
> the TMO became, if not entirely, but certainly in the greater part,
> a "business" promoting its proprietary line of techniques and
> products primarily for profit, still under the banner of its original
> goal of spiritual regeneration, but mainly without the soul.  Or so
> it seems to me.

It was a great movement for a while, wasn't it?

> That is not to say that the product line is bad or bogus, though that
> charge made by many may have some merit in some instances; but merely
> that the primary face of the TMO reflects a business model it has
> incorporated that has mostly eclipsed the original and more
> spiritually oriented goals so many of us were attracted to and
> adopted in our youth.  And in its place we see this strange amalgam of
> Indian hoodwinks and funny hats all seemingly in play so as to
> generate as much income as possible to sustain its own preposterous
> sense of importance.

Yep, and don't forget the bagpipers, the phony degrees and calling each
other Dr. this and Dr. that.  I really think that the Raja stuff is
almost a natural outgrowth of all the silliness that's gone on for
decades, it's just more obvious now.

> Again, much of what is promoted by the TMO such as organic farming,
> the meditation itself, ayurveda, yagyas, etc., I personally feel are
> life-supporting and life-enriching, but in the hands of the TMO are
> actually diminished, inasmuch as they seem to merely be another avenue
> for the TMO to enrich itself.  Avarice appears to be the primary
> motivation.  How strange and sad is that.

That's pretty much it.

Sal