It took a while, but it just occurred to me how different awakening is from
what we are
looking for.  We think we are looking for eternal life for the self when the
body dies.
Instead what really happpens in Awakening is the oppposite:  the self "dies"  (
or the
notion of what the self is dies) while the body is alive and goes on living for
a while longer.

On a related note:  a totally western, traditional psychiatrist told me the
other day that the
sense of self is really just an amazingly quick "data sweep" of the different
activities in the
brain, giving rise to illusion of a self in control of things.  Pretty nice
description,
especilaly coming form the neurscientist perspective on the mind.