Jonathan Chadwick wrote:
> Richard, you make some good points.  But I don't think Mahesh Yogi
> would ever make the claim he surpassed his teacher.

A person doesn't let thier followers call you the "Maharishi" for
nothing. And you must think a lot of yourself if you take it upon
yourself to be God and appoint a King of the World and all his ministers.

> Personally I think he sees himself as a sort of Saint Paul in
> relation to Jesus, if you will pardon my Christian reference:
> much lower on the spiritual pecking order but he happened to be
> a right person to get the job done.

Maybe so. I've pointed out previously that the mere possession of the
Jyotirmath property in the succession dispute has no great bearing on
who the real Shankaracharya is. If it were, Vasudevanand would prevail
hands down, since he's in possession of most of the Jyotirmath property.

In fact, it's a title that's at stake in the dispute. In this sense
the dispute reaches a moot point because in fact there's no evidence
that Shankara established any mathas at all - it's just a mythic
tradition.

So, if the devotees on the ground in India believe that Vasudevanand
is a Shankaracharya and revere him as such, and Vasudevanand looks
and acts like a Shankaracharya, and he is assumed to be the successor
to Guru Dev, and no material evidnce is presented to the contrary,
then Vasudevanand probably is a real Shankaracharya.

>From what I've read, the current Shankarachaya of Jyotirmath,
Vasudevand Saraswati, has a really big tent at the Ardha Kumbha Mela
at Allahabad this year - he's far more popular up there than the Swami
Swaroopanand.

Another point concerns the fact that Guru Dev probably spent only a
couple of months at Jyotirmath in his whole life, so there's probably
never been a "Clerk of Jyotirmath" anyway. From what I've read, Mahesh
Yogi worked out of the Shankar Math at Allahabad.