> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
> <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> >
> > I always liked the way scientists name stars etc. after
> > the ancient myths, I didn't know about the GC though.
> > Would love to see it someday, Ihear it,s over a mile
> > to the bottom, I could take my mountain bike and have
> > a scream!
>
> The Grand Canyon is pretty much on the "Don't Miss!"
> list for planet Earth. It is beyond description.
> That said, I'll try to describe it a little. :-)
>
> The first thing that gets you is the scale. You park
> your car and walk out to the Rim, and there it is --
> infinity, all spread out in front of you, for your
> amusement and edification. It's Art, in every sense
> of the word, with time being the artist.
>
> When you go, do your share of hiking and biking on
> the more-populated and more-popular South Rim, but
> if you really want to feel the nature of the place
> of power that Grand Canyon is, spend even more time
> on the North Rim. It's hard to get to. It would take
> you hours of driving to get there from South Rim.
> But boy! is it worth it.
>
> Yes, it's a mile deep. If you're considering doing
> any strenous hiking or biking, do read the guide-
> lines provided by the Park Service. Especially
> regarding water and carrying enough of it. Dozens
> of people die there every year of dehydration,
> many of them seasoned hikers from other countries
> who are used to hiking long distances, but who
> did not realize how much water they'd need in
> a desert climate.
>
> Do go, when you have the chance. If you're
> interested in the "power place" nature of the
> canyon, consider renting a car and making it a
> kind of driving pilgrimage to other power
> places in the neighborhood ( the neighborhood
> being several hundred miles wide, that is :-).
>
> One could, say, fly into Phoenix and rent a car
> and drive up to South Rim. Then you could go up
> to North Rim and from there swing through Bryce
> Canyon and Zion, and/or head East and check out
> Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley. If you're
> really adventurous and want to explore a place
> of power a little more ragged and gnarly, you
> can go up to Chaco Canyon.
>
> Look these places up on the Net. Gaze at photos
> of them. If they resonate with something inside
> you, and you find yourself drawn to them, IMO
> you might well benefit spiritually from visiting
> them.

Thanks for the inspirational writing. I'm sure I will benefit
spiritually, meditating in dramatic landscapes far from the madding
crowd always does it for me. I'm planning a US tour this year I shall
pay the GC a visit and also the huge meteor crater in Arizona, that's
always drawn me too.

I lived in Israel just before learning to meditate and used to go
hiking in the desert a lot, especially at night. Man it's so quiet
even your breathing seems too loud. It's a mind expanding place and I
always said I would return and meditate in a cave for a few months
but never got around to it, maybe a US desert will have the same
effect on the soul.