I really appreciate these posts. My dad was an alcoholic too. He never
abused any of us sexually, but he did so verbally and emotionally for many
years. Drove my mother to the mental hospital. I think the stress of WWII
drove him to drink. He was traumatized by it all his life. Dwelling on his
positive qualities helps me to forgive him. He was a sensitive, intelligent
man - a professional artist. Very creative, an excellent cook, an organic
gardener way back in the 1950's, appreciative of music, took me skiing, on
Boy Scout camping trips, etc. So many good qualities. But a real SOB when
drunk.