--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Very nice, indeed, thanks.  The conception of the Tao is so
> perfectly elegant and Lao Tzu is such a lucid conveyer of it.

Yup. I like Lao-tzu, except for the "tantrum yoga"
ending to his life. I always wanted to write a story
about it, except that the audience for it would be so
limited, in that not very many people would know the
legend it's based on.

That legend goes that towards the end of his life Lao-
tzu grew depressed that no one was actually *learning*
what he taught, and very publicly gave up teaching
and swore to leave China forever. So he beat feet and
walked out of China, but when he got to the border of
(I think) Manchuria, he ran into a border guard who
had heard of him, and the border guard refused to let
him pass. Instead, according to the legend, he talked
with him for several days, to try to convince him to
leave *something* behind of his teachings, and as a
result Lao-tzu wrote the Tao te Ching.

My version of the story would involve all the conver-
sations over beer of those few days, at the end of
which Lao-tzu leaves *without* having written the
Tao te Ching. So the guard writes it.