> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
> <markmeredith@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I think everyone here has misread Harris's viewpoints,
> > which might be expected from this type of group.
>
> > Harris does not deny the existence of unbounded eternal
> > divinity or anything else in that realm, he just says
> > you can say with certainty that it exists, or say it is
> > "Truth" that it exists.
>
> I think you meant "cannot say with certainty," right?

Yeah, sorry.

> > Harris properly points out the dangers of believing in
> > these sort of absolute unprovable Truths without realizing
> > that they're actually just your own belief systems that
> > you own for whatever reasons, good or bad, but he's not
> > denying anyone the right to hold their belief system -
> > whereas religionists have a tendency to want to deny any
> > other belief system which does not conform to their Truth.
>
> The problem is that you get into an infinite
> regress here.  Harris *is* denying religionists
> the right to believe that their beliefs are
> absolute Truth.  That is the *foundation* of
> their belief systems.
>
> Sullivan, as far as I can see, is not trying to
> convince Harris that Christianity is Absolute Truth;
> he's trying to show Harris that Harris's reasons
> for asserting that Christianity *cannot* be
> Absolute Truth are not well grounded.
>
> As I said to Barry, the argument isn't symmetrical
> in this regard.

OK, I see your argument, which only makes me support Harris's concern
about religion more.  The typical reasoning of a religionist is that
they must not only be allowed to believe and practice their beliefs
but believe and practice their beliefs as Absolute Truth.  That
tendency is what causes trouble.  If your belief is Absolute Truth
then anything that disagrees with it is absolute falsehood, sin, the
Devil, and so forth, which justifies lots of strife.

I watch the documentary Jesus Camp last night, about summer camps
training kids to be good spiritual and political evangelicals.  The
adults kept talking about being under fire and persecuted in the US
and the need to change the country to end this.  I hear this alot from
evangelicals, that they feel persecuted in this country.  I not only
don't see any persecution of them at all, I see them having undue
influence in all branches of gov't.  What you realize as you watch
this film is that they feel persecuted because they can't force all
their beliefs into the public schools and laws of the land and make
everyone be good evangelicals.  This is what happens when your beliefs
become Truths.

Anyway Judy as you consider your response please be considerate of
these good Christian Truths that are dear to me:

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not
a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in
silence." [1 Timothy 2:11-15]

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted
unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as
also saith the law. And if they will learn anything, let them ask
their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the
church." [1 Corinthians14:34-36]