> On Jan 28, 2007, at 6:58 AM, george_deforest wrote:
>
> > How to use a Mantra in Yoga Practice
> > by Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati
> >
> > http://www.swamij.com/mantra-use.htm
> >
> > this strikes me as a good un-biased overview,
> > and btw, TM manages to hit all the high points...
> > confirming that technique-wise, maharishi got it right!
> >
> > ("Swami J" is American-born, yet ordained into Swami order in India)
>

> Hi George:
>
> Don't be fooled. The basic technique is similar, but also in many
> ways very different. First of all, in this Shankaracharya tradition
> technique, it's taught properly. One starts out with learning proper
> asana, then breath awareness and then purification of the subtle
> channels with pranayama. After the student is observed for a period,
> usually months of time, then and only does one get a mantra. And it's
> not a mantra off a memorized list, it's mantra based on the student.
> The student can also have their mantra changed if needed. And it
> get's more advanced from there. That's why you don't see the side-
> effects and causalities in that tradition like you do TM, where many
> people have negative side-effects.
>
> Here's a synopsis of that particular tradition by it's primary
> exemplar (now deceased), "Swami" Rama. I included the entire quote
> for context:

Leaving aside your implicit praising of '"Swami" Rama" (why the quotes, BTW?),
I just find it
amusing that you praised SSRS for what you thought was a mass initiation of
millions of
people into a TM-like technique at a large public gathering on the first day of
the
gathering, and yet denounce MMY's organization which at least provides a 4 day
training
session with initial private instruction and lifetime followup, and THEN
procede to explain
how awful the TMO is for not following the traditional procedure for teaching
meditation
after instruction in asanas, pranayama and months-long personal evaluation of
the
student by the teacher...