Did they all see into the Buddha fields? Then they were not awakened, just
perhaps not dreaming any longer.

-----Original Message-----
From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of matrixmonitor
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:17 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Two Paradigms => thanks Jim

---Yes, Tolle, Ramana, and Papaji are examples of individuals who
awakened more or less spontaneously without the need of prior
practices.  In a statistical curve, such persons are in the
99.99999....% percentile.  The rest of us laggards need
good "techniques" like TM.

 FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "amarnath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Namaste Jim,
>
> Thanks for a very refreshing account with minimum labels and
> conclusions. Simplicity seems to be a good pointer toward reality.
>
> Especially your last three paragraphs impress me that your awakening
> is in the right direction and genuine from what I understand from
> Ammachi, Papaji and others.
>
> Your account has some similarities with one( of many ) common
patterns
> that I have been reading about: spiritual practices, gathering
> knowledge, having experiences, perhaps siddhis, and finally some
sort
> of letting it all go because it all seems somewhat burdensome and
> complicated compared to the underlying simplicity of
stillness/beingness.

> Eckhart Tolle's path was a little different but still similar. He
was
> searching for the meaning of life in academics which provided some
> happiness alternating with deep anxiety and depression. He said that
> suffering was his teacher and finally " `I' cannot live with
`myself'
> " was the impetus for  the inquiry "Am `I' two or one?" and LETTING
GO
> which resulted in the reduction of 80% of his mental thoughts.
> Letting go was not a choice, it was God's Grace, in my
understanding.

> Sitting in Bliss on park benches for about two years followed.
Then, a
> gradual integration and balance followed. In his case the letting go
> was primary and then, the simple spiritual knowledge( relatively
free
> from past ) followed later. What Eckhart teaches is relatively free
> from the past, religions and traditions and accounts for his
> popularity. Of course, the essence of his teaching is the same
because
> truth is one.
>
> One of Amma's statements is that a time will come, after enough
> spiritual effort and enough suffering, when one will lose all grasp
on
> wealth, health, finances and spiritual practices themselves; then,
> there will be no choice but to surrender the ego completely. This
may
> sound too drastic and perhaps not necessary for everyone; or perhaps
> allegorical. But, then again "to completely surrender the ego
> completely" is perhaps a goal not reached any other way? Just a
> thought for the time being.
>
> Papaji points out that genuine awakening occurs when everything, all
> concepts, all beliefs, everything is surrendered completely, at
least
> for one moment.  He warns that preconceived concepts about higher
> spiritual states can be a trap, because, as the mind becomes more
> powerful on the spiritual path, the mind will create these
conceptual
> higher states( different levels and all that ) and the ego will feel
> it has arrived. The "ego" will feel that it is God.
>
> It seems that was the case with a Rakshasa like Ravana who was very
> adapt at spiritual austerities and siddhis. And perhaps explains the
> fallen/false spiritual teacher scenerio.
>
> Jim, if you haven't read Papaji's "The Truth Is" and "Nothing Ever
> Happened" I highly recommend these.
>
> "The Truth Is" provides hundreds of ways in which to flush out all
the
> nooks and crannies where the ego can hide. See especially page 399
> "Sadhana: There is no Becoming Being"
>
> "Nothing Ever Happened" is an excellent biography. Papaji was a
family
> man, a military officer, and managing engineer. His self realization
> started at age eight and matured in his 30's? when he met Ramana.
> Before that he did plenty of spiritual practices on his own. So,
> obviously, the "awakening" that he talks about has to be understood
in
> the proper context; perhaps not understood but felt by ones
Beingness.
> [...]
> >
> > Interesting thought about the two paradigms. Reflecting about it
for
> > a bit, I've identified four distinct approaches that have taken
me:

> > First, it was a matter of discovering what enlightenment was; how
it
> > was different from anything else, what it meant-- lasting from
the
> > time I was in high school until I learned TM. This was a time
where
> > I was searching several different paths, trying them on like
> > clothing and seeing how long I ended up wearing the garment. It
was
> > not a time characterized by striving for enlightenment, but
rather
> > finding the right vehicle in which to begin my journey.
> >
> > The second mindset I found myself in was after I had begun TM, a
> > practice which had a lot of knowledge to offer, from reading the
> > Gita cover to cover, to taking the SCI course, to the myriad
taped
> > lectures of Maharishi, to the experiences of sustained rounding.
> > During this time I was interested in absorbing the totality of
the
> > knowledge available to me, and had some brief experiences which
> > caused me to step off the future/past train and enjoy life in the
> > Now. But such experiences were fleeting. I also learned about the
> > seven states of consciousness and very much wanted to achieve the
> > higher states, which I associated with those fleeting moments of
> > Now. I also felt that the whole world should begin TM including
> > everyone I knew, and gosh, what a dark world it was outside
of "TM
> > knowledge thinking". Looking back I can say that I was a rigid
and
> > judgmental person. Maybe this was necessary in order that I see
the
> > process all the way through. Or perhaps it was just the way a new
> > seeker sees the world, as a darkness in contrast to his newly
found
> > light.
> >
> > After having absorbed the TM knowledge as fully as I could, and
> > after having learned the TM-Siddhis program, the third phase of
my
> > journey was characterized by rapid expansion of my awareness,
while
> > still feeling pinched inside. I had wonderful experiences of
> > extrasensory sight which persist to this day. I felt my mind
expand
> > to be able to know everything. My heart could experience
overflowing
> > love and darkest hatred within the span of a couple of seconds.
> > Every boundary was crumbling, but the knowledge I had learned
over
> > many years from the TM organization wasn't keeping up. I was
> > experiencing what appeared to be symptoms of CC and GC and even
UC
> > on a consistent basis, but when I wasn't, I felt trapped,
wretched
> > and miserable. I found myself in an increasing spiral of
> > justifications, for everything. My mind was working overtime to
> > explain to itself what was going on, and not doing a great job.
My