> On Mar 25, 2007, at 1:17 AM, Rick Archer wrote:
<snip>
> > It's wonderful to see her loving people unconditionally for
> > hours on end, many of them crying as you cried when you
> > watched the horse.

(Just an additional comment--it's not clear to me
how my getting teary at a magnificently gorgeous
performance by a horse and rider is even remotely
similar to someone crying because they're receiving
unconditional love.)

 Maybe someday such people will be commonplace
> > and harmony will prevail in the world.
>
> Makes me wonder what happens if our "inner child" has Reactive
> Attachment Disorder?  Isn't that what RAD is?

>From Wikipedia:

Reactive Attachment Disorder (sometimes called "RAD") (DSM-IV 313.89)
is a psychophysiologic condition (1) with markedly disturbed and
developmentally inappropriate social relatedness in most contexts
that begins before five years of age and is associated with grossly
pathological care. This pathological caregiving behaviour may consist
of any form of neglect, abuse, mistreatment or abandonment.

> In such a case, I would wonder--even if you inundated the RAD
> person with perfect love, respect and attention--if the RAD
> inner child could not and did not *trust* (with trust forming
> the basis of emotional attachments and the ability to 'to the
> position of the other' and walk a mile in their shoes so to
> speak, to empathize), if this basic trust was not present, what
> good would external love be?

Hey, Vaj, here's an idea.  Why don't you give
it a shot, see what happens?

> Do we have to love ourselves before we can accept
> love from others?

Yes.  And loving oneself also makes it possible
to tell the difference between people who are
offering genuine love and those who are only
making a pretense of it.

(BTW, it was commonplace on alt.m.t for TM critics,
Vaj prominently among them, to suggest that TM
supporters--not just me by any means--had been
emotionally damaged by parental abuse in childhood.
It seems Vaj has now decided to port the tactic
to FFL.)