This was forwarded to me. I'd not seen it before, so I thought some
of you may be interested.

This press release was written by Maharishi 55 years ago announcing
the visit of Shri Guru Dev, whose childhood name was Raja Raam.

The Great Saint of the Himalayas is Coming to Shower His Blessings on
the Metropolis

The Statement issued by: BAL BRAHMACHARI SHRI MAHESH JI.

Press conference convened by Shri Shankaracharya Reception Committee,

Delhi on the 15th Oct. 1952 at 5 p.m. in the Young Man's Tennis Club
Queen's Gardens, in connection with the visit of HIS HOLINESS SHRI
JAGATGURU SHANKARACHARYA MAHARAJ OF JYOTIRMATH.

******

It gives me a great pleasure to welcome you all and have your company
here this afternoon. It gives me enough encouragement and support to
acquaint you with the details of the mission for whose fulfilment
His  Holiness Shri Jagatguru Shankaracharya Swami BRAHMANAND
SARASWATI MAHARAJ will be visiting your city about the 12th of
November 1952 and stay here for about a month for Dharmopdesh.

Swami Brahmand Saraswati Maharaj, the present Shankaracharya of
Jyotirmath Badarikashram (in the Himalayas) is a magnetic personality
with a sweet amalgam of High Wisdom and Love of humanity. He
combines  in himself the Knowledge of the Self with the mysterious
powers -- the Sidhis arising out of Yogic perfection and hard
penances, which He has undergone throughout His life. He is a great
living Yogi and  scholar and is revered by millions of Hindus as
their Supreme Religious Head.

This great Saint of the modern age was born in U.P. in a well to do
and renowned Brahman family in 1871 and was enthroned to the seat of
His Holiness Jagatguru Shankaracharya in 1941 at Banares, during the
ninth session of the All India Sanatan Dharma Maha Sammelan convened
by the Bharat Dharma Mahamandal in conjunction with a countrywide
support of almost all the ruling princes and different
socioreligious  institutions all over the country. It may be recalled
that it was a long persuasion of about twenty years which could
convince Param Virakt Swami Brahmanand Saraswati to accept the great
responsibility  of the Shankaracharya at the age of seventy.

>From the tender age of nine when he came out of his home in Search of
God, till this time, his life was mostly spent in the lonely hidden
regions of the Himalayas, Vindya Giris and the Amarkantakas  which
are rarely frequented by men and are chiefly inhabited by wild
animals. For years together he has lived in hidden caves and thick
forests where even the midday sun frets and fumes in vain to dispel
the darkness that may be said to have made a permanent abode there in
those solitary and distant regions.

But today he is easily accessible as he is now the presiding head of
Shri Jyotirmath which is the greatest religious institution of the
Hindus of Northern India, covering all different creeds and
Sampradayas and branches lying under the fold of Hindu Religions.

One unique principle of the great Sage that distinguishes Him
completely from other living saints of today is that He does
not�accept money as gift from his visitors or disciples.

This brief description attempts to mirror a few hurried and short
glimpses of the life journey of this great living Sage who has
actually transformed into a living fact the inner latent potentiality
of the soul. He has known the great universal Truth, whose
realisation is the aim of the entire scheme of life. For Him the
mists of ignorance have completely disappeared and having known the
Divine Reality He has verily become an embodiment of the great
Divinity.

His aim of life, if the life of a realised soul can be said to
possess any such aim, is to broadcast the message of the Great Divine
Light that He has himself realised, the Light that is the Soul of all
human beings. Having himself attained the pinnacle of Self
development, he aims at transforming the worldly minded people into
the Godly minded, and through his inner Divine touch to change the
materialistic hearts of iron into spiritual hearts of gold.

His entire personality emanates the sweet perfume of spirituality.
His face radiates that rare light which comprises love, authority,
serenity and self assuredness that comes only by righteous living and
Divine Realisation -- one feels as if some ancient Maharishi
mentioned in the pages of the Upanishads has assumed human form and
feels that it is worth while leading a pious life and to strive for
the realisation of the Divine.

His Spiritual teachings are simple and clear and go straight home to
heart. He strictly adheres to the course of inner development laid
down by the Systems of Indian Philosophy and ethics and he raises His
voice never in opposition but always in firm support of the Truths
and principles contained in the Hindu Scriptures.

According to the tradition from the worldly point of view, the
dignity of the Shankaracharyas throne has got to be maintained by the
rich paraphernalia around his Holiness, but those who have come in
His contact know the fact that the private life of the Sage is quite
simple and renunciation.

I believe that he is a living embodiment of titanic spiritual force.
If I were asked on the basis of my personal experience, about the
living saints of today, as to who is the greatest amongst them, I
would unhesitatingly name Shri Jagatguru Shankaracharya Swami
Brahmanand Saraswati Maharaj of Jyotirmath the Beacon Light of the
holy sanctuaries of the Himalayas.

Shri Shankaracharya Maharaj has clear insight into the mind and the
thoughts of the modern age. His teaching and commendments are based
on sound reasonings which are quite agreeable to any reasonable
thinker. He is a great critic of prejudices and narrow mindedness
arising out of irrational love of caste, creed, nationality or
any "ism". His life is a living proof of the Truth of the Vedas and
Shastras. He has opened a new era of renaissance of True Religion. He
extends his recognition to anything that is good in any religion. He
is accessible to all. Everyone can enjoy and derive benefit from his
holy Darshan and elevating discourses.

He is coming shortly to shower his blessings on the busy and restless
souls of the metropolis. I beseech you, my friends, to extend your
hearty co-operation for the great cause in the interest of each
individual of our society, in the interest of our nation and in the
interest of the world at large. The great Saint of the Himalayas is
coming in your midst and in the fitness of the great occasion, I
appeal your good sense to extend your valuable support so that his
elevating discourses may reach the masses in every nook and corner of
our country and abroad.

-----------------

Thanking you for giving me a pertinent hearing, I would like to say
something, in short, about the shrine of Jyotirmath, the prime
spiritual centre of Northern India and the headquarter of Shri
Shankaracharya Maharaj. Jyotirmath is one of four seats established
by Adi Shankaracharya in this continent -- two thousand and five
hundred years ago.

It is situated in the heart of the Himalayas 173 miles up from
Hardwar and only 18 miles south of Shri Badrinath and may be said to
be the queen of the Himalayas for natural beauty and
spiritual�values. Jyotirmath it was that the first Shankaracharya
selected for his stay in Himalayas where he taught the highest
philosophy of existence -- the Vedant to his disciples, wrote his
immortal commentaries on the eleven principle Upanishads, the
Bhagavad Gita�and Brahmasutra and established a seat of Spiritual
light to function as sansorium, a supreme centre of the Eternal
Religion of India to keep the Light of Pure civilisation and culture
burning for all the millennium to come. It is an ancient culture
centre of yoga, the Light House which has preserved and disseminated
the Light of the Sanatan Dharma all the way down the ages.