Curtis, without snipping any of your post (below) or spending a whole
lot more time or words on the subject, it seems pretty clear that
Guru Dev, himself, believed in siddhis and miracles, as is obvious
from Paul Mason's site with quotes from him exactly on that subject,
as well as the bios of him which are allegedly based on stories he
told himself.  In "The Whole Thing, The Real Thing" he claims his
guru, Swamiji Krishnanad, raised a boy from the dead and there's also
the story of the Aghori Mahatma who put on the spectacular diorama of
the divinities (as well as a deluge of blood and bones) for Guru
Dev's benefit while Guru Dev was doing sadhana in some jungle
somewhere.

And the Indian teachers and gurus I've read (Yogananda immediately
comes to mind), all presume the miraculous as being part and parcel
of enlightened life.

So it doesn't seem odd or particularly perfidious on Brahmachari
Mahesh's part to make such claims about Guru Dev, whether or not Guru
Dev himself claimed to possess them.  Basically, the belief in
siddhis are part of the Indian culture and as such, even a person of
integrity and prudence, steeped in that culture, would accept as true
the reality of miracles that have no empirical proof to substantiate
them.  It's just a way of looking at the world.

**

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Me: So if a frog had wings he  wouldn't bump his butt so much?  MMY
> sent his new "flyers" to MIU to tell us that they WERE flying, not
> hopping.  What he believed about what would happen some day has
> nothing to do with his deliberate misinformation about the sidhis
> claiming that people where floating in the air and not just
hopping.
> If I tell you I have a million dollars, I am lying even if someday
in
> the future I get that money.
>
> > is no big jump to say that the writer of the PR
> > puff piece might be making up miracle stories to
> > increase hype.
>
> Judy: BUT HE DIDN'T MAKE UP ANY MIRACLE STORIES, Curtis.
> That's a story *you* made up
>
> Me: He doesn't mention them by name in that piece but he uses the
> claim of them as part of his "Guru Dev is so special" pitch.  We
don't
> know what specific stories MMY made up about Guru Dev.  All we know
is
> that in this promo piece he refers to them and uses them to build
> specialness credibility.  Without super powers Guru Dev is just a
> super camper.  And that doesn't seem to warrant his "His Divinity"
> title. Think of all the other claims MMY could have made about Guru
> Dev's knowledge or ability to explain the scriptures.  But no, MMY
> uses a claim of magic powers.  I'm sure we can find out some place
> where MMY mentions them, I'll keep digging.  I smell smoke.  I
didn't
> make up anything, MMY claims miracles plain as day.  My bias is that
> Guru Dev didn't actually perform miracles, so I conclude that MMY
was
> lying.  That doesn't mean that no one can do magic things, just
that I
> don't have any evidence other than MMY's assertion that Guru Dev had
> any.  Since I have heard MMY lie through his teeth repeatedly I am
not
> taking his word on this.
>
> If you start with an assumption that Guru Dev did in fact have magic
> powers then your conclusions will differ concerning MMY's
credibility.
>  But trying to pawn off his assertions as just the usual standard
> build up for a saint doesn't ring true for me.
>

> > Your thinking is so very rigid when it suits
> > your purposes, and so very flexible when that
> > works better for you.
> >
> > Agreed. It has taken me years of self development
> > to achieve this.
>
> Judy: And you're *proud* of insisting on the evidence
> when it confirms your beliefs and ignoring it
> when it doesn't??
>
> Me: I don't see how trying to characterize my thinking process in a
> negative way advances our discussion Judy.  I am not soliciting your
> help in my general thinking style.  As far as this discussion goes,
we
> are both choosing what we are paying attention to in the piece.
That
> is one of the reasons we are coming to different conclusions.  That,
> in my mind, is  a good thing.  I accept that I am offering my
> opinionated POV.  But it is just as valid as the one your are
offering
> considering the facts that we both have from this piece.  So far I
> appreciate the points you have made and also disagree with your
> conclusions.  It has nothing to do with either of our abilities to
> think about topics in a careful manor.
>
> > > BTW what is the SCI view on the mechanics of penances
> > > in gaining magical powers?
> >
> > Non sequitur.
> >
> > It was a secondary point I was bringing up. MMY is
> > claiming that Guru Dev did penances to achieve magical
> > powers.
>
> More than one way to skin a cat, perhaps.
>
> > I appreciate the discussion. Thanks.
>
> Judy: And I note you're *still* choosing to ignore
> these points:
>
> ME: OK
>
> Judy: > And I note you chose to ignore these points:

> Me: I understand the theory that his parents had the kind of
personal
> fortune that would support a Math. It is pure speculation.  I also
> think it is unlikely due to the extent of the fortune necessary.
But