Richard,

I was thinking that mainstream religious types don't talk about
miracles much. They talk about love.  They feel uncomfortable with
people who claim miracles.  So they might be spiritual and believe in
God, but not buy that some preacher can heal cancer by shouting at
you.  I think this is the majority of religious Americans.  By the
time you figure out how watered down their version of spirituality is,
you find it is more similar than different from an Atheist's view of
our lot in life.  A place where shit happens and no one seems to have
a hotline to the big guy or we wouldn't have Guinea worms. (Google
ride this at your own peril)  I think some people believe in a vague
"great spirit" and, like the deists, don't feel that God has much to
do with our lives after creation.  So that was what I was thinking,
religious people who believe in God but are pretty skeptical about
miracle claims outside their scriptures, East or West.

Thanks for asking.  Any insight is appreciated.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"