In a message dated 4/6/07 8:36:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

For the  first time in nearly two decades of reviewing research on
global warming,  the main international group studying climate change
has found that  heat-trapping emissions from industry and other
activities are already  influencing weather patterns and ecology in
ways both harmful and  beneficial.

Assuming this is true for a moment, we, in the United States, could stop
running our cars, stop generating electricity and shut down all of our
industries that pollute and probably wouldn't have much effect in reversing
this  trend
because if you have ever traveled out side of the US to countries like  China
, India or many other  third world countries, you'll find their  pollution
levels are far worse than ours. These countries have no interest in  using
higher costing technologies to reduce their own pollution levels.  They are in
the
market for cheap energy and high productivity. Their governments  probably
don't give a damn about their air quality and the health of their  people
because
they also are over populated. I was in India in '96 and the  pollution levels
in Delhi were horrendous. Go to El Paso and look at the  difference between
El Paso and Juarez Mexico, just across the river, it's like  night and day. I
know people that go to China and they tell me how awful  pollution is there in
all  of the major cities. The United States and  Europe alone can't stop the
emission of green house gases even if we shut  down our economies entirely. And
the moment we try to impose our "values" on  other countries that do pollute
without any restraint, then we are seen as the  big bad boogie men suppressing
the economic development of poor people. So,  if indeed mankind is causing
Global Warming, which I'm not convinced it is at  this point, we are all going
to have to make the same efforts, together. As far  as I can tell there is no
country in the world that does as much to be  productive and reduce pollution
per capita than the United States. Screwing in  fluorescent light bulbs and
driving Hybrids may make you feel good about  yourself, but it ain't doing much
when it comes to offsetting what many more  other countries are doing or not
doing to fix the problem.