<snip>

> What I have *always* found most lacking in Maharishi
> is *empathy*, the ability to relate to other people
> as if they were his equals. His entire life is struc-
> tured around the dynamics of the teacher-student
> relationship, with its inherent power differential
> between teacher and student. Within that model, the
> student can *never* be at the same "level" as the
> teacher. In fact, his past teachings have empha-
> sized that even if the student realizes his or her
> enlightenment, that student still "owes" the teacher
> lifelong devotion.
<snip>

Just for a slightly different take on this, I'd have to say that
despite all that TM did for me I never much felt I owed MMY
anything, perhaps because I had never been much into bhakti. For
that matter, I never felt that MMY had ever expected any devotion
from me either, but perhaps that's because I finished only phase I
of TTC.

However, during my return to the Dome last summer, I noticed
repeatedly that MMY and I were utterly identical, and *on the basis
of this identity* I felt overwhelming waves of surrender and
devotion for Him, as I did for Guru Dev and for my own
simple/expanded "creator" self while experiencing reality as its
devic/particular "creature" contraction.

This dynamic surpised me; I wasn't expecting it -- rather having
been taught only that it is love/appreciation/devotion which brings
one into unity. At least in my case, however, it appears that my
heart fully breaks open and surrenders only to itself, truly knowing
complete creature/creator devotion only *upon the basis* of unity.

*L*L*L*