> Around '84 I came to Fairfield on one of those assembly courses.  At
> the time, a student told me that Campus Security Guards had been armed
> with guns.  But this had caused an outrage in non-meditating surrounds
> and that, as a direct result the Iowa legislature had passed a law
> banning security guards on Iowa campuses from carrying firearms.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of this?  I had only heard it once -- from this
> student -- and this was over 20 years ago so my memory could be
> faulty.

I remember that course. MMY was on campus, and they hired armed
rent-a-cops for beefed up security. I was an MIU student at the time,
and I remember having to show my badge to the armed guard stationed by
the front entrance when walking from Howard dorm, across highway 1,
over to the main campus.

I also remember the bit about the legislature passing a law outlawing
armed guards on Iowa campuses. However, I don't know if that is
actually the case.