Hello Marek,

Thank you for offering this story.  While it is similar to the one I've
heard and read about Narada, it's not the one I'm searching for.  Instead of
rewriting it from what little I remember, I'm searching for an
extant well-said version of it to share with others in driving a point.  In
the one I'm searching for Narada could fly at will and is sent around the
world and instructed not spill a drop at any time during the journey.  He
arrives back, speaks of how he did not spill a drop, though focused so much
on not spilling a drop that he forgot to think about Krishna, Vishnu or
whoever supposedly sent him on the trip.  I've read and heard the story told
as either Vishnu or Krishna sending him, and one other character besides,
whose name I don't remember.

Katha shastra is always told with specificity to the moment it's being told
so it's often that the story being told is changed a bit to meet the
specific needs of the circumstance at hand.  In the West we may be used to
stories staying consistently the same all the time and over many centuries,
a characteristic dating as far back Josephus, in contrast to what was more
common at the time of morphing stories to meet the needs of the moment, as
demonstrated in the ever morphing rendition of the Ramayana, originally by
Valmiki, though modified over the centuries by others.

*Of all that anyone leading or teaching has to convey, the most valuable
thing to cultivate and convey to others is a moral conscience. Only such
persons deserve to lead others, in any capacity. Anything less is a menace
to society. *
**
**