"Appear intelligent *compared to what*? " - just the fact that nature
is lawful, orderly and consistent and thereby discoverable and
predictable; but also that the "constants" in nature are so fienely
tuned that even the tiniest numerical deviation and matter and energy
would not develop or exist even. These qualities of the laws of
nature point either to an underlying intelligence, as Hagelin argues,
or to their chance emergence in the right ratios, in this particular
universe (compared to the case in trillions of other parallel
universes, where the ratios etc in the constants are "wrong" and no
evolution of matter happens).

"what provided us with what intelligence we have in the first place"
Yes as we are part of nature - but still it is surprising the
correspondence between our "models" and "nature", that our
mathematics for instance, can be so incredibly accurate. Also amazing
how the mere act of observation can alter outcomes in quantum
experiments.

Regarding the question of "coverings" and "ignorance", it is all
rather intriguing nevertheless, metaphorically. Children like peek-a-
boo games, psychological development involves discovering self,
others and the boundaries inbetween; science is about "uncovering"
laws of nature, we like mysteries, magic etc.. even mystical
experience is about "revelation" etc. But existentially, especially
concerning all the suffering in the universe, it's infuriating!