--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Turq,
>
> I'm so jealous of your Crumby Karma.

So am I. :-)

And I'm moving anyway. You of all people probably
understand why.

> Would you tell him, for the one millionth time, from yet another of
> the masses he reached, that his drawings and humor came into my life
> at exactly the time I needed it.  Yes, everything does, but his
> arrival in my life seemed especially so.  The junk in the trunk
> women he drew with their stocky bodies, greasy hair, and hippy
> vibes were like fine French Pastries for my hungry eyes. I sipped
> his irreverence like the nectar it was.

He'll be pleased to hear this. Robert is possibly
the most fame-averse and attention-averse human
being I've ever met, a true recluse, but he does
appreciate it when people appreciate his work.

> Truly this guy impacted just about everyone who was in their
> twenties in the sixties or seventies.

He did indeed. I remember fondly the sense of
resonance I felt when I first met Mr. Natural.
It was very "Mother is at home."

> I saw that documentary about him and his brother, and, er, his mom
> too?  I was so moved that his talent could not just survive that
> intense karma but actually thrive because of it.

And thrive it has. He's a veritable inspiration,
to have not only survived that, but to have turned
the struggle *to* survive it into art. The first
stop on my recent Road Trip was a museum that was
staging an exhibition of Crumb Family Art. It con-
tained works by Robert, by his wife Aline, by their
daughter Sophie, and by his even crazier brother
Maxon. Quite a show. Quite a crowd.

> Despite his world-class hinky ways, he's like an attention magnet
> nonetheless, but in a good way, like seeing Stephen Hawking in his
> twistedness yet knowing that underneath the physical inabilities
> is this huge intellect -- same deal for me with Crumb -- all I
> can see is geekazoidy almost goth-icky personality on the surface,
> but under it all is something precious, massive.

Robert Crumb and his wife Aline and their daughter
Sophie are among my couple of dozen favorite people
I've ever met on planet Earth. They're just so
sweet and *normal*, man.

As you say, the hinky ways are just the surface.
Underneath, neither Robert nor Aline drink, smoke,
or do drugs, and haven't for decades. Robert, unlike
bozo ex-hippies like me, has almost NO positive mem-
ories of his drug experiences. He meditates daily
(no, I still don't know what type of meditation),
and goes for long hikes in Places Of Power. And yet
when a chair falls over in the restaurant where we
are having dinner, he jumps as if someone had hit
him with a cattle prod, and it takes several minutes
for his system to settle back down.

Does he have some scars from that childhood? Well,
duh. But has he risen above them, and used them to
create art that has been compared to the drawings
of the great masters? That's what it's all about,
isn't it? We've all got Monkeys On Our Backs. Even
the saints we've been talking about lately have
Monkeys On Their Backs. But some of them managed
the saint thang *anyway*. If that isn't enough
inspiration to get you through the day, I don't
know what is.

> If Adoph Hitler had by chance also been a great mathematician, he
> might have come up with a truth that was so fundamental that it
> had to be taught in every high school around the world.  Think of
> the cognitive dissonance of teachers everywhere explaining this
> fact. How could you teach this truth to a Jew -- what sensitivity
> could any teacher draw from to handle such a lesson?

In a word, compassion. That's what's attractive
about the Buddhist persuasion for me, that ability
to transcend judgement.

> Just so, Crumb to me -- his coal enwraps the hard inner diamond
> that the volcanic pressures of his life have wrought.

Exactly. I think he'd appreciate the image.

> And I'm here wearing my nice new white gloves.  Bother!

Lots of comic characters wore white gloves. Didh't
Krazy Kat wear white gloves? Sounds like you're
still in tune, dude. Or would that be toon?