> Great article, great protest.
>
> Having worked on the peripheries of the music and
> film industry at one point in my life, I have to
> admit that I don't have a lot of compassion for the
> companies who are screaming about being ripped off
> by pirates. They've been Long John Silver to their
> artists for decades now, ripping off the very people
> who create their product every way they can possibly
> imagine. And now the karma has come home to roost.
> And about bloody time, in my opinion. I've known
> musicians who sold over a million dollars worth of
> product and who got a *bill* from their record
> companies for the album. The smarmy lawyers of the
> record companies had found a way to pass all of
> *their* expenses onto the band, and make them pay
> the company for the privilege of having made money
> for them.

I just saw a segment on TV about how popular bands are now doing all
of their marketing, publishing and distribution by themselves
because of the obvious economic benefit. The show featured a band,
Wilco, who said that instead of a record company contract that would
pay them $1 per CD, by outsourcing these functions and managing them
themselves, they were now realizing $6 per CD. That's a big
difference. :-)