I know someone who claims he is sometimes aware of living several
lives simultaneously right now - and sometimes there's even a little
leakage, so that he has trouble keeping it all sorted. Did that
event happen to the me in this body, or to the me in another one of
the bodies?

So perhaps, whatever it is that reincarnates - takes on several
bodies at a time. Having a single incarnation at a time seems a
little inefficient in a grand universe like this anyway.

>From the point of view of the Self, there's only one soul
reincarnating as everyone anyway!

Everyone was (is) somebody special!