On Jun 10, 2007, at 12:54 PM, authfriend wrote:

On Jun 10, 2007, at 11:38 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

Can't say I ever quite grokked what the Method method was
all about. Whatever it's about, though, sure seems to have
produced a lot of great acting.

Probably a lot of divorces and breakups, too.

And that's the result of the acting method they use?
Doubtful.  More like they take themselves so seriously
they can't handle it when somebody else doesn't.

I suspect that's why they take to Method acting in
the first place, so the Method is correlated with
divorces and breakups, but the personality is the
underlying cause of both.

Yep.

I also suspect there have been a lot of terrific
Method actors because a lot of inherently terrific
actors liked the Method. They'd have been terrific
no matter what approach they used, in other words.

Agreed. And to even get into the school that taught it, the one in NYC, I'm pretty sure you already had to have made some kind of name for yourself already, demonstrated some better-than-average acting ability for them to even consider you.

 I mean, once...way back when, Meryl Streep lived with Al Pacino.
Can you *imagine* that apartment if they were both
Method actors (Pacino is, I don't know if she is)
playing heavy roles in different plays or films?  :-)

Well, Pacino has never been divorced (never been married, to my
knowledge at least) and Streep has been successfully married for
almost 30 years.

I *think* Barry may be mistaken about Pacino and
Streep living together.

Yeah, I think he's thinking of John Cazales, another actor from the Godfather whom Streep was engaged to and who died of cancer shortly before they were supposed to be married.

<snip>
Undoubtedly
somebody of Olivier's stature, at the point in life he had reached,
might not any longer see things that way  and wouldn't mind letting
his guard down.  Would be interesting to know what he was like 30
years before that, though.  Bet he was a whole different person.

I've seen a couple of interviews with Olivier in
his later years, and he seemed to me completely
inarticulate when asked about his approach to
acting. He was never a particularly emotive actor,
though; and you could almost always *see* him
acting--albeit brilliantly.

Nicholson almost never takes himself very seriously, as far as I
can tell.

He takes his acting *dreadfully* seriously, at
least according to one interview with him I read.

By me, he's the most overrated actor in Hollywood.

I'd say that title goes to Tom Cruise by a mile. Could never figure out that guy's popularity. Nicholson at least is fun to watch, IMO.

Sal