> On Jul 24, 2007, at 9:23 AM, t3rinity wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:
> > > If you want to use paradox as a vehicle,
> > > try running through a couple hundred mahavakyas you don't already
> > > know an answer to or have discursive ideas about.
> >
> > Sorry Vaj, there are only 4 mahavakyas, all else are just vakyas.
> > Maybe you mean koans. Its not the same, it has a different underlying
> > principle, and it comes from different paths with different goals and
> > spiritual perspectives.
>
> I was referring to the 600 or so mahavakyas of the Chinese kung-an
> (called koans in Japanese) which are also used to stimulate waking in
> some Buddhist schools. The goal, awakening, is the same, but the View
> is different. It was actually my Patanjali guru who turned me on to
> the fact that these kung-an are a more detailed and rigorous set of
> mahavakyas.

Sure, but then its Buddhism, not Advaita Vedanta right. Working with
paradoxes to stop the mind momentarily is not the purpose of the
Upanishadic Mahavakyas. The traditional advaitic method is quite
different, and consists in a thorough acceptance and understanding of
the advaitic truth as it is confirmed by vedic scripture - thats
traditional Advaita in opposition to Neo-Advaita. The premises are the
acceptance that this world is unreal and only Brahman is real. The
Neo-Advaitins have appropriated the term 'Advaita' in order to
describe an experience of Unity or their understanding of it, and mix
with it all kinds of psychological or New Age methods. But Advaita is
firmly rooted in scripture, it is 'Vedanta', the end of 'veda'. It
consists of Sravana (Hearing or listening to the highest spiritual
truth), Manana (The process of reasoning in which one reflects on the
spiritual teacher's words and meditates upon their meaning) and
Nididhyasana (Deep meditation on the truth of Brahman)
Mahavakya Literally, "great saying." A Vedantic formula that declares
the oneness of the individual soul with Brahman.
(Each mahavakya in Vedanta comes from a different of the main
Upanishads. Each of these Upanishad belongs to a different Veda, hence
only 4 Mahavakyas)
see:http://www.vedanta.org/wiv/glossary/glossary_mr.html

I suggest to investigate terms from spiritual path within their own
respective philosophies and not a hotchpotch of new age ideas.