"> I suspect he'd be willing to rewrite it as:

> If you lose your attachment to/identification with
> your own personality, you can afford to be non-equal.
>
> I think he makes a good point that insistence on
> equality can mean not just humble unwillingness
> to give oneself a higher status, but prideful
> (egoic) unwillingness to accept a *lower* status."

I think these terms are most useful in a specific context.  For
example Tom Cruise is at a very high level in Scientology.  He has
taken auditing to the highest level which makes him much "higher" than
you or I.  In this system he possesses many magical powers from his
level of attainment.  I don't think it would be a function of pride
for me to not accept any invitation from Tom to accept a "lower"
status in his little made-up world of distinctions. I suspect you
would not be willing to join his POV that you are far less developed
spiritually than he is since you have your own personal standards for
personal development that you pursue. I suspect that you would feel
that if Tom was gaining something worthwhile through his auditing
techniques that you were getting the equivalent or better from your
own TM practice. (just a guess)

In my life the people who I give the credit for be the most actualized
in their personalities are the people who draw out the best from
everyone around them.  They don't radiate that they are "higher" but
just that they are having a great time being alive and invite everyone
to join them.

But I do appreciate the distinction you are making.  For me being
"humble" is often another version of spiritual oneupsmanship.  I never
trust people who claim it.  I am certainly not.  My self confidence
has be so hard earned through the years of my life.  It is the lack of
confidence in my self that has held me back, never being too
"prideful".  And anyone who invites me to accept that I am on a
fundamentally lower level of awareness then they are will not receive
an invitation to lunch at Bistro Curtis.

Thanks for returning the ball.