<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[Jim wrote:]
> > If you feel so strongly about these kids, get your butt
> > on a plane and do something about it-- It doesn't take
> > enlightenment to spend your cash and work with your body.:-)
>
> So rather than your going into Ritam and pulling out a simple
> way to help them avoid this parasite, you are suggesting that
> I physically go to Africa and muck around with no medical
> knowledge?

Waitaminnit. You go on to reveal that the problem
isn't medical--that's been solved--but rather
sociological, i.e., how to get the poor folks to
filter their drinking water.

So "muck around with no medical knowledge" is a
red herring. And that, it seems to me, proves
Jim's suggestion that you're using the suffering
of these people to score a point rather than out
of sincere concern for their welfare.

> But judging by
> your lack of desire to help them, now I know that it is God's
> will that they suffer

As I understand what Jim is saying, it's not God's
will that Jim relieve their suffering via "magical
powers," or he'd have done it long since. That's
what Jim means by "miracles are in short supply."

I've said before that my notion of omniscience is
that it's on a "need to know" basis, the "need" in
question being that of God or Nature or the Cosmic
Computer or whatever. Omnipotence is likewise on a
"need to do" basis.

You don't buy the whole theory of enlightenment,
that the enlightened person is just a tool in the
hands of the Divine. That's fine, but you're
attacking Jim personally rather than the theory.
If the theory is *correct*, your argument makes
no sense.

, so it would be immoral for me to try to subvert
> God's will right?

It might very well be God's will that *you* do
what you can to relieve their suffering.