On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Sina Ahmadian wrote:

> It's true that there is a solution for solving the YEH problem in all
> versions of windows, without installing the new microsoft fonts, but not all
> the persian language users use this method.

The YEH problem in Windows SHOULD be fixed be installing new fixed fonts.
Any other solution is non-standard and will create new problems, not only
in my opinion, but Microsoft's and many others.

> Now when you search in google or any other search engine with persian
> support, you should try typing the words which have YEH in defferent way to
> have all the results (the persian YEH and the arabic YEH with two dots ¨ on
> the bottom) We have the same problem for searching in a small database in a
> website with persian words. There are many other examples as well.
> I think here is the best place where we can discuss about this problem, find
> a unique solution and make a final decision on it.

The solution is very simple. It is called loose searching, and has been
there for a long time. As like in English, when you have search for "jack"
and find "Jack" also, Google or that certain database can have an
equivalence table for each Unicode character and consider them variants of
that original character.

The exact table, depends on the implementation. A good place to start is
the Unicode Collation Algorithm at <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/>.
The notion of equality in that document can as well be used for searching.

roozbeh