On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> The YEH problem in Windows SHOULD be fixed be installing new fixed fonts.
Speaking of Windows, I have heard unsubstantiated reports that even with
WinXP, the "yeh" (06CC--on the "d" key) works great in some editing
programs such as Word but even on the same computer, fails to work in
other programs. Again, I have not verified that this is the case but I'm
not surprised by anything concerning the Yeh anymore.

Also, it's true that the fonts have been corrected concerning the yeh.
However, the people in the Microsoft Typography dept who have removed the
free font downloads don't seem to know that there is no way to legally
obtain the corrected fonts (unless they "upgrade".)

> The solution is very simple. It is called loose searching, and has been
> there for a long time.
Just curious: What if you are searching for an Arabic  word but you are
inputting your search in FA mode (maybe you are more familiar with the
keyboard layout, etc.)  Since some of the yeh forms in Arabic and Persian
are identical (in appearance) but have different unicode values, will this
not adversely affect your search?

-Connie