I've worked on a reply to this for the Digital Media Project (dmpf.org) so I've read the main document, the personal visions, and the Chitty 16-pager pretty carefully. I'm certainly happy to help discuss the material or locate references that might be useful. I'll at least start by commenting on the Wiki stuff, but please direct me wherever I can be of use. (By the way, before I was asked to draft the DMP reply, I encouraged Nicholas Bentley to reply on his own. Some of you may know him.)

> Technology facilitates a shift from a consumption-based model for the media to a participatory one - ongoing trend towards this - blogs, youtube, etc, PSB should encourage rather than stifle mass participation.

This is so consistent with the new approach described that it fails to reply to anything. Frankly, they were smart to suggest this, but they need help to get results.

> PSBs should represent the public interest when commissioning programmes - All new programme content should be commissioned with terms as such that they can be distributed without DRM and under the most-liberal-possible licence

You mean PSPs with two P's. (I know it is hard to talk seriously in a regulatory context about a Sony portable device's acronym; I keep thinking about my son's stupid games and UMD disks.) As far as public interest, I'd look at the phrase "public service" and argue that liberal licensing provides the best value for the taxpayer. People should use all they can, and part of the commissioning process can generate new content that supports very liberal licensing (their idea as well as what we want). The authors like to use the phrase "share aware" meaning that content tells you what you are allowed to do with it (instead of mute content encumbered with technological restriction measures but no concept for reuse).

> PSBs should represent the public interest in dealings with the government (similar to British Library's policy on DRM)

This has many implications and is too vague. For example, a political action component is definitely envisaged for this.
http://www.openmedianetwork.org.uk/contentandvision/act.htm
Also, the whole proposal is really not DRM-friendly (disclaimer: Digital Media Project (dmpf.org) is DRM, we're not the Beckman Center at Harvard, we're like the opposite). Also, you said PSBs and not PSPs. I'd elaborate the list of what public service/interest issues are involved for the complex participative environment proposed (although actually they claim to make NO "proposals" in the sense of Ofcom jargon). I think there are a number of different ones, and then there is the later potential to handle three things separately: news, children's programming, and the Regions and States. I think a good Free Culture Wish List would be received very receptively. At worst, they'll end up with lots of free stuff if the document's vision is put into practice, but there might be parallel channels that are more restricted, and there will probably be restrictions on non-UK users esp. shaking us foreigners down for much-needed revenue.

> Investment in technical infrastructure and educational programmes to broaden participation in the media and facilitate a conversational, participatory model.

Again, if you go through it you'll see that they say they want to commission not just content but enabling tools, technology or education for participation. They are really great! Until page 45, I didn't find one thing I disagreed with. So I would parse out two wish lists here, one for technical infrastructure and another for programme types. But be warned that these folks really shine when it comes to describing diverse program types for public service digital media. In the work-up sessions, it looks like everyone had to contribute at least 8 sites or something and then propose a make-believe new idea of their own. The URLs are on their http://www.openmedianetwork.org.uk/ website

Anyway, I don't mean to criticize. I'd like to live in the better world a UK PSP can give me, even way out here in California.

Speaking of which, I'll bet some of you might want to comment on the suggestion that the PSP cannot be London based or it will be sucked into old crusty ways of thinking. Personally, I think the whole thing could be run online with fun periodic events travelling across the UK. And if someone can't be there, no matter, they can be there virtually or else join in the discussions and online comments after-the-fact. But they really seem to want to stay out of London!

PHIL :)
http://home.earthlink.net/~veyr/ for gory details

Tim Cowlishaw wrote:

(those on the fc-uk list see forwarded messages below- we're discussing

That sounds fantastic to me.. I've got a wiki page up on the fc-uk site with a couple of preliminary thoughts (However, I think these might be irrelevant as after reading more of the document i think i may have initially misunderstood the scope of the consultation - expect retractions and revisions to these!). Just had a read through Saul's blog entry and theres' loads of good stuff in there too, so as I think our positions are all pretty much aligned, presenting a 'united front' in this respect would be a great idea.

Wiki page here: http://www.freeculture.org.uk/OfcomPsbResponse

Cheers!

Tim