On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 11:46:20 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> The migration for the Fedora Council has gone well so far, and as I
> understand it has been a rousing success for Magazine. Should we look
> at moving this list there as well?

I'm not so sure. I think Discourse works well for team discussion, but
we don't do a lot of that here. The list here is generally used for
announcing information/opportunities for newcomers. Most of our
discussion happens on Pagure tickets.

Do we want absolute newcomers to go to Discussion.fp.o? Even with
categories, Discourse doesn't have the clear boundaries that mailing
lists do. Muting categories to opt-out is the opposite of explicitly
subscribing to mailing lists. So, there's so much happening there---do
we want newcomers to dive right in?

I think we currently try to prevent this in the Welcome-to-Fedora
system. We first get newcomers to learn the high level bits on Fedora
and only when they're comfortable enough do we direct them to teams and
tasks.

Here's an example ticket:
https://pagure.io/fedora-join/Welcome-to-Fedora/issue/76

(On a related note, the magazine, as a public facing official Fedora
platform, is obviously very attractive to new contributors. It works as
an excellent contribution gateway but do we have some info on whether
magazine contributors stick around and get involved in other regular
Fedora community development related activities: technical or otherwise?)

--
Thanks,
Regards,