On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 07:28:56 -0700,
  Greg Woods <wo...@ucar.edu> wrote:

> At work, I have an old Dell monitor that doesn't do EDID, and I can't
> get nouveau to do anything better than 1024x768 on it even if I use
> system-config-display to tell it that the monitor is a 1920x1080 flat
> panel (which it is). The proprietary driver doesn't do full HD either,
> but at least I can get it up to 1280. On this machine, I do get periodic
> freezes, where the mouse pointer still moves around the screen, but
> clicking or typing have no effect. Only a hard reset/reboot fixes this.
> Any mention of this immediately gets fingers pointed at the proprietary
> driver, so I am kind of stuck on this one. I just have to get a newer
> monitor I guess.

In recent releases some default mode lines stopped being generated, so
that just requesting a higher resolution in your xorg.conf file won't
work. You also need to define appropriate mode lines as well. You can
use cvt (or a couple of other programs) to generate mode lines that
won't fry your hardware and add them to your xorg.conf file. I have
a couple of monitors that I need to do that with.

For example:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# keyboard added by system-config-display
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "NEC MultiSync LCD2010X"
        HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 85.0
        Modeline "1280x1024_70.00"  129.00  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1027 1034
1069 -hsync +vsync
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"