Say we do this:

> mkdir felix.svn
> svn co ... felix.svn
> mkdir build.svn
> cd build.svn
> ../felix.svn/autogen.py

So, going through your list, we've got:

>         A. source: not modified by build, edited by developers

that'd be felix.svn

>         B. build: created and modified by build, must not
>             be edited by developers or users. The build area
>             is transient can can be entirely deleted.

which is build.svn/build

>         C. Configuration: persistent
>            Created by configuration system once.
>            Can be edited by users.

build.svn/config

>         D. Configuration: generated
>                 Created by config system. Must not be edited.
>                 Can be deleted. Influenced by persistent config

So where's this one go? Assuming we'd want to take the build.svn
directory and blow away the generated config and builds, probably the
best would be build.svn/build/config so you could just delete
build.svn/build. Is this what you're planning?