On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 22:22 -0800, Erick Tryzelaar wrote:
> Say we do this:
>
> > mkdir felix.svn
> > svn co ... felix.svn
> > mkdir build.svn
> > cd build.svn
> > ../felix.svn/autogen.py
>
> So, going through your list, we've got:
>
> >         A. source: not modified by build, edited by developers
>
> that'd be felix.svn
>
> >         B. build: created and modified by build, must not
> >             be edited by developers or users. The build area
> >             is transient can can be entirely deleted.
>
> which is build.svn/build

What's with the *.svn here? This is an independent directory.

> >         C. Configuration: persistent
> >            Created by configuration system once.
> >            Can be edited by users.
>
> build.svn/config

No, that's no good. This has to be a directory right out of the
source AND build trees (so it doesn't get blown away).

Ideally, this would be a non-existent directory, which if created
and contained certain files would override and manage the
configuration. Exactly how to do that I don't know. Example:

        HOST_CC='gcc'
        TARGET_CXX='gxx -fopenmp -g'
        SDL_HEADER_DIR='/usr/lib/sdl-1.2.3/include'

> >         D. Configuration: generated
> >                 Created by config system. Must not be edited.
> >                 Can be deleted. Influenced by persistent config
>
> So where's this one go? Assuming we'd want to take the build.svn
> directory and blow away the generated config and builds, probably the
> best would be build.svn/build/config so you could just delete
> build.svn/build. Is this what you're planning?

Sounds right.

BTW: dirnames like build.svn aren't so hot, they confuse Windows.
Also, thinking of a tarball, the .svn is inappropriate anyhow.